Sunday, July 6, 2014

"Ms. Ombre" Dragonfly: Ceiling fan & bed posts

Good Morning everyone, I hope you all are having a nice 4th of July weekend.  Today I would love to show you how you can recycle "upscycle" those old ceiling fans into a piece of art for your outdoor garden, or patio.

One of my favorite Facebook page is Flea Market Gardening, love, love their page!  They put out this challenge back in January to get people to do a project they have been putting off.  I have wanted to do a ceiling fan, "dragonfly", for sometime, so I thought it would be a great time to stop procrastinating and do their winter challenge.  Below you will find how I made this one.......


I call this one Ms. Ombre; she took sometime and thought, but think she turned out o.k.  I have tweaked her a bit more this summer, her eyes were a bit blaa, so I added some sparkle to her eyes; she's much better now!


My supplies for this project.


 I painted the fan blades all white for the background color.  I didn't get any pictures putting the fan blades together.  Here is how I did it; I used screws, wood glue and a piece of board to secure them all together in the back.


 I Then dry brushed/stamped blue over the white...


I wanted an ombre look, so I started at the top with white and worked my way down to a darker blue.  This was my first attempt at this kind of look, I really need to practice this technique more, but for now, I'm going with it :).  I then attached the body to the wings.


 I Added the clear/blue glass stones with silicone glue all around the perimeter of the blades and then let set.


Then with the blue bottles, I broke them in pieces.  (Please take extra care when breaking the bottles!)  I then took the broken pieces and glued them like you would a mosaic piece.


I added some eyes, necklace and wire antenna.  


When I put her out this summer, I thought her eyes needed something, so I added a couple of jewels, wow what a difference, now they pop!!  Don't be afraid to change your original plan, you never know, it may end up being a so so project to one of your favorite pieces!

Would love for you to come on over to my Facebook Page and give me a "like" if you like what you are seeing here. Thank you!!  <3 you all!!



No comments:

Post a Comment